Tuesday 25 October 2011

All Buttoned Up....

What Ho......

Big Nan's Button Tin.
Sorry for the silence in blog land but I have been busy both socially and at home re decorating, knitting and completing lots of alterations and repairs.                                       
It was whilst doing those repairs my thoughts traveled back to the time when as a small child I would spend hours sorting and re sorting the buttons in my big Nan's button tin.
I would tip them out on to the rug in front of the fire and sort them in to colours, size and favourites.

I went hunting for Big Nan's button tin and found it hidden right at the back of the cupboard under the stairs at my mums.

The tin is smaller than my hands remember
but it feels and smells the same.
As a child I remember thinking the two little girls on the front had to be my Big Nan and her sister my Great Auntie Anne.

I now have my own button tin's of my own and love buttons just as much now as I did as a small child.


This Thorne's toffee tin is the 
larger of my collection and 
hold mainly sets of buttons.
                              
 These diamante set buttons are of two different sizes and I have yet to find the right outfit for them, but I will, sooner or later. 
The green set of five on the right top row are destined for a jumper I intend to knit this winter, found  in a local charity shop along with the wool for the jumper.                    
                                                         Some like these are as old,
                                                         if not older than me.



Some I only have two or three off.              

And some I keep in this tiny tin with the word My Desire on the front, spare buttons from an already used set, or single buttons waiting patiently for their turn to be used.
Each button a single piece of a happy moments in my childhood.

Toodle Pip x


                               

1 comment:

  1. Sorting out buttons, yes, very soothing. :-) Nice green ones!

    ReplyDelete